WHAT THIS GUIDE WILL DO FOR YOU
This GUIDE is intended for use both by those new to these areas and activists wishing to expand their background knowledge. It is designed to counter the incessant barrage of corporate cheerleading delivered by mass media and advertising.
This GUIDE will:
This GUIDE provides:
- allow you to identify and debunk the often unspoken myths and assumptions behind our present economic system
- explore the intersection of corporate power with mass media and government
- examine socially and environmentally viable alternatives to Wall Street/Bay Street and the failing global economy
- a "Quick and Easy Introduction" section for novices to the economic and political forces dominating our modern world
- Glossary and discussions of terms those new to these areas may not be familiar with
- Short descriptions of the "free trade" treaties and international financial organizations Canada belongs to which have drawn so many protests
- the business organizations, front groups, and corporate-funded "think tanks" that have been instrumental in advancing the neoliberal agenda in Canada
- short downloadable articles dealing with a wide variety of subjects for a quick overview of these topics
- a wide-ranging listing magazines, radio and tv programs, and websites as well as Edmonton Public Library books, dvds, and cds providing alternative information on these public policy matters from that presented by corporate mass media
- websites and listservs of Edmonton organizations working on social and economic justice, environmental, peace and other issues for those interested in becoming involved
- and, perhaps most importantly, a means for those involved in one part of this work for a better world to network with those working in other areas
This GUIDE is intended as a valuable resource for activists, students, researchers, and the general public interested in new insights in the economic, social, or political sphere. All books dvds, and cds can be found in the Edmonton Public Library.
The inclusion of a business or organization in this GUIDE does not imply any endorsement of the GUIDE by them or any connection by them to any other organization named in this GUIDE.
The inclusion of a group , web site, or resource in this GUIDE does not imply full agreement with or endorsement of all its policies or positions.
No claim is made that the GUIDE is exhaustive and the omission of any social justice or activist group is regretted. The graphics are courtesy of Tools For Troublemakers.
Activists in other cities and provinces may find these books, cds, dvds, etc. in their own libraries as well as their local chapters of the Edmonton activist groups listed.
RETURN TO MAIN MENU
RETURN TO HOME PAGE